“I’d rather die while I am living than live while I am dead.” – Jimmy Buffett
Have you ever watched a hamster in a cage, running on a little wheel? He is going nowhere in a hurry! Have you ever felt that you are doing the same? Life was meant to be lived in “Drive” – not in “Park.” We were built to go forward in life. We try, we fail, we get up and try again, until we succeed. Then we see a new obstacle and the process repeats. That is life. (Think of the movie, “Groundhog Day”) The real question isn’t, “Did you succeed?” The real question is, “Are you still moving forward?”
Too many people decide that living their dream is too much trouble, and they give up and settle for “average” or “comfortable.” When that happens, they are doing exactly what Benjamin Franklin describes, “Many people are dead at 25 and not buried until 75.”
I was in a Speaker Workshop with Les Brown, and he was talking about the fact that we all have “greatness” in us, but too often we settle and never live into that greatness. He made this comment, which I think I own the rights to now! “Too many people live empty and die full. Choose to live full and die empty!”
I don’t think anyone of us ever fulfills all the God-Sized potential that is within us (I believe the only one to ever do that was Jesus – the only perfect man to ever have lived), I believe we should never stop thinking and working to do so. Just because you can’t do something perfectly, doesn’t mean you should not do it.
Here are 7 tips for you to apply to move you closer to living your dream.
- See the life you desire to live (I hope it is a worthy desire). See it in as much detail as you can imagine. Does it excite you? Compel you? If not, imagine a life that does! Write that “movie” down.
- Why do you want to live such a life? What is the “reward?” Is it compelling? Does it excite you? If not, keep thinking of the benefits, the rewards, the outcomes, until you find the reason(s) that do entice you.
- Think into what you would need to do to live that life? Write those things down.
- Think into what you would need to stop doing to live that life? Write those things down.
- What else will you need to be able to succeed? Write it down.
- Think deeply about how you can attract what you need. Write it down!
- Now start taking action to achieve what you have written down.
Just a thought, but you might want/need a coach or accountability partner to share your dream with, and to hold you accountable for doing what you committed to do.
Here’s to living until you die!
Make this a great day!