There is no such thing as a self-made woman or man. Think about some of the famous achievers throughout history and those who helped them do what they became famous for doing!
- Sherlock Holmes had Mr. Watson
- Thomas Edison had a company of thinkers and scientists.
- Einstein had a group of mathematicians (they were better at math than he was).
- Abraham Lincoln had his Cabinet (made up of those who were not his allies during the election).
- The Wright Brothers had a team of people from Dayton, OH helping them.
- Jesus selected 12 men to walk with Him – 3 of them formed his inner circle.
- Hey, even the Lone Ranger had Tonto!
As I coach and consult with large and small businesses, the one glaring mistake I see being made is the tendency to “go it alone.” I don’t mean that leaders don’t have others present; they just don’t let others close enough for value to be added by them.
Just think of the term “Human Resources”. Often business view employees as a resource to use to do what they are told, rather than encouraging the team to offer suggestions on how to do their jobs better. I have even encountered companies that have people who have never done a certain job deciding how those in the job should do the job.
The problem is that if you have a team, and assign responsibilities to the team, you need to give authority to the team to carry out the assignment. If the leader does not share the authority, potential leaders will be discouraged, and your best people will either leave, or stay but quit in place.
This is what I know, one is too small a number for significance. You have strengths and weaknesses, and you need people around you who have strengths in the area of your weaknesses. You need a team!
The truth is that a team makes you better. A team makes you smarter. A team makes you more productive. When a team is united on purpose and values, then no one person is smarter than the collective thinking of the team.
So, are you going it alone? STOP!
Gather your team and soar to new heights.
Maximize today and make it a great day!